I just picked up the book Toughness by Jay Bilas and have just read the synopsis and a few pages. I predict this book, obviously, to be about toughness...but specifacally about what toughness really is, how to acheive proper toughness, and how this will better you as a person.
Two questions I have for the author are: How do you know your definition of toughness is the real one? Why is your form of toughness the best form of toughness?
Text to text connection: Judging from the summary and a few pages, this book seems like it will have an overall central theme similar to that of the book One Shot at Forever. I know One Shot at Forever teaches about overcoming obstacles in life with toughness, so I'm predicting the book Toughness will be very similar in regards to theme.
Text to self connection: I can relate to this book because over my baseball career, a main thing I have focused on is developing proper mental toughness. I strive to become this most mentally tough player that ever steps foot on the field. The reason that great mental toughness is such a big deal to me is because baseball is 75% mental and 25% physical. If you look at professional athletes, not all of theme are great athletes. I listened to a reporter interview Reds' first baseman Joey Votto. In the interview, Votto emphasized that he was not a great athlete through high school. He was below average on the baseball field, but he had a passion for the game. Somehow, as he puts it,"I have to find an edge. I have to develop something within me that noone else has." He goes on to explain that mental toughness is what eventually gave him that edge. He is now one of the best first basemen in baseball. Joey Votto is a great person to look up to in my eyes, so every day I work to become tougher mentally than I was the day before. This book is all about becoming tougher mentally so it should be very easy to relate and connect to.
Text to world connection: There's a lot of injuries that are on sports news because, well, it's football season. I hear guys on sportscenter claim that the toughness of players these days is awful compared to players of "their time." This book can connect to these stories because they're all about toughness.
Here is a website where you can find out more about the book and it also allows you to order the book directly from their website because I know this post makes you want to read it so badly.
I like how you made connections, and also how you did a "preview" of the book. It sounds like a great book to read!
ReplyDeleteThis book seems interesting- is it completely nonfiction or more like a novel? Your connections are great, and give more meaning to your predictions. I also like how you took the time to find other sources, like the interview you quoted, to support your connections.
ReplyDeleteThis seems like a good book to read and I really like the Text to Self connection you made. Great job on this well thought out, orginizied blog and I agree that baseball is a mental game.
ReplyDelete