Sunday, May 4, 2014

Columnist: Sheila Moss

I recently discovered the columnist Sheila Moss.  I was reading humorous columns and came across one of hers.  It had a very interesting title, Interviewing Siri.  After reading this column, I continued to read many of her other columns.  I like a lot of things that she does with her writing: unique syntax, word choices (diction), and the topics she writes about are kind of...interesting.

Sheila Moss incorporates a lot of sarcasm and irony in her pieces.  No one of her columns is even remotely similar to the other.  Their formats are completely different, and I admire the fact that she can almost change as a writer for each topic she's writing about.  I think it would be cool if I attempted to do this myself, even if I don't succeed, it's worth a try.

The main reason that I chose to take this time to review Sheila Moss over the other thousand columnists out there is because I believe she sets her self apart from the boring, bland, consistent columnists.  By consistent I mean flat, unable to change their styles and formats of writing.  I've taken a lot away from reading her columns.  I have a to-do list now of things that I really want to try to include in my writing.  Whatever Sheila Moss does, she does it well.  I highly encourage you guys to at least skim some of her columns, it won't hurt. Below is a link to the column that I mentioned in the first paragraph.  It's a very humorous, light-hearted column by, entitled Interviewing Siri.

http://www.humorcolumnist.com/siri.htm

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I really liked how you posted a blog about columns, because we are learning about them in class, and it's cool to see other interesting columns like this one. Also, the way that you analyzed this column is very in-depth, and that makes this post very good. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete