Sunday, April 6, 2014

Fahrenheit 451:Reflecting

No, I have not finished Fahrenheit 451 quiet yet, but I would like to reflect on what I have read up to this point and also on my previous predictions.

So far, Fahrenheit 451 has been an ok book-not my favorite, but it could be worse.  It has some good conflict, but the book is extremely indirect.  The author, Bradbury, uses a surplus of allusions.  Some of these do serve a significant purpose, but in my opinion, he uses so many that they lose their purpose.  It's like talking to someone that uses too many analogies or similes, it gets old after a while.  I do like the conflicts, though.  The book is very suspenseful at times, leaving me "on the edge of my seat."

Some of my predictions have been 100% correct, others not even relevant.  I predicted that Guy Montag was going to be a man that enjoyed his job: burning illegal books and the houses in which they were hidden.  This is half correct.  The reasoning for this is because he originally did love what he did, but about a quarter way into the book, not so much.  I predicted he is going to be somewhat cold-hearted and not have much emotion.  Again, I would consider this prediction half correct due to the fact that in the beginning of the book, he really had no emotions.  Nothing phased him.  Towards the middle, he started to transition into a very emotional person.  Some of my other correct predictions were that Clarisse was going to open his eyes to the world, change his views of the world, and start questioning his work.  Also, a different correct prediction I made was that he's going to become a very deep thinking man.  I believe he has become this because his thoughts are somewhat philosophical now.  I was incorrect with the prediction that he was going to choose books over his wife, and they were going to get a divorce.  They have gained some tension in the marriage, but they're obviously still married.  I was not expecting Mildred to just decide to not care and not pay attention to his work...that was very out of the ordinary.

So far, the book hasn't reached my expectations, but I'm still not finished with the book!  I'm excited for the ending.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't really finish this book either because I thought it was boring and confusing

    ReplyDelete