Thursday, April 17, 2014

Krista Ramsey

Our English class recently had the valuable opportunity to listen to a great speech by Krista Ramsey, a columnist for the Cincinnati Enquirer.  I was actually pretty excited to hear her speak because I'm interested in pursuing a career similar to hers.  I wanted to get some advice, hear how she got to where she is, and what her job entails.  What I expected is not what happened.  What actually happened?  She discussed some stories that she has found and resarched.  She showed how her job has a legitimate influence on society.  Now, you're probably thinking I wasn't satisfied and somewhat dissapointed that her speech wasn't what I was expected.  You're 100% wrong.  That was the first time I have paid attention to someone speaking for 72 straight minutes.  It's a new personal record.  I was more than satisfied with her speech.  I loved it.  It moved me, motivated me.  The speech was very powerful.  I found myself constantly on the edge of my seat, dying to know what her next word would entail.  I believe that I know what I want to do in life just because of her speech. 

I would like to share a couple points that she made and some things that I found cool, so readers that didn't have the opportunity to hear her speak can get some of the important parts.  First of all, she stated that she has more interest in the ordinary human being than she does in a criminal or someone very successful.  I found that crazy!  I've never heard those words come out of someone's mouth in the 14 years that my heart has been beating.  A second thing that I found interesting was how much of an impact her job has on other people and society in general.  For example, she found a story about one man, a single father who had the difficult duty of raising 6 kids on his own.  He had to bike to the store every morning to purchase food to keep these kids alive.  She found this man, and his life hasn't been the same since.  After people read the column she wrote about him, people began to offer him rides to and from the store, food to feed his family, cash, you name it, they offered it.  And guess what.  Cincinnati State read her story and now he is attending that college...for free!  He's getting an education and is on a path to become a chef.  All because of Krista Ramsey!  What amazed me the most, was the fact that through all of this, knowing that none of that could've been possible without her, she says, "It's not about me, it's about him!"  She was very humble, which I respected very much. 

Summed up, Krista Ramsey's speech moved me in positive directions, and I'm very thankful that I received the opportunity to hear her words. 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds great that she was able to do so much to motivate people. Its too bad that I never got to listen to her speech yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista Ramsey truly does sound like an amazing positive person. I think that you really showed how her path and he motivation helps to bring this world to a better place. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you described Krista Ramsey. You really demonstrated how she helps motivate people.

    ReplyDelete